What To Bring To The Test Session
- A photo ID such as a driver’s license or school ID. If you don’t have a photo ID, bring two other forms of ID. Young people without a picture ID are welcome to test with us. We ask that at least one parent or guardian accompany the child to vouch for his or her identity.
- Form 605 requires either an FCC Registration Number (FRN) or a Social Security Number. If you are licensed and have an FRN, please bring that. Look on your license, as it may be listed there. (Do not confuse your FRN with the license file number.) Your FRN is also listed on the FCC’s system. To review your file, click here. Provide either your name or callsign where indicated, and click “Search.”
- Some license holders do not have a FRN yet. If you do not already have a FRN number we suggest you register with the FCC, and bring that number with you. Click on the word “register” in the previous sentence and follow the instructions.
- For Technician Class exam: A picture ID and testing fee.
For upgrades: Original ham license plus photocopy or FCC Reference copy. The photocopy or Reference Copy will be retained with the VEC records.
- Original and photocopy of a Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) if you’re using that instead.
- There is a fee of $5.00 to take any exam or retake any failed exam. Cash only, please. (Your $1 and $5 bills are greatly appreciated!) No checks.
- A calculator, as long as any memories are cleared.
- We provide pens and pencils, as well as all the necessary paperwork.
There is no pre-registration required. Simply show up at the test session. Also, we offer all three classes of exams at every test session. Please leave any instruction materials in your vehicle and turn off your cell phone and pager before entering the testing room. Good luck!